This section of HealthSTATS presents key demographic information for Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka. The source for this information is the 2011 and 2006 Census data by Statistics Canada, as well as population projections provided by the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. Here you will find the most recently released population data for Simcoe Muskoka that will continue to be updated as new data becomes available.
- In 2011, 504,110 people lived in the service area of the Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit; including 446,063 people in Simcoe County and 58,047 in the District of Muskoka.
- Simcoe Muskoka’s population increased 5% between 2006 and 2011.
- The population of the SMDHU area is projected to continue growing, both in Simcoe County and the District of Muskoka.
- From 2015 to 2041, the population of Simcoe Muskoka is projected to increase 35% from 548,825 to 740,073.
- More growth is expected in Simcoe County (37%), but Muskoka’s population is projected to increase by 17%.
- Population growth in Simcoe Muskoka (35%) is expected to exceed provincial growth (30%).
- Although all age groups will experience increases in their populations, the largest growth in Simcoe Muskoka is expected to occur in the senior population (65+ years of age). It is projected that by 2041, the number of people in Simcoe Muskoka who are 65 years of age and older will more than double to exceed 218,800.
The following topics related to population characteristics are covered in this section
Child Population Count
Senior Population Count
Population by Age and Sex