Map of Simcoe Muskoka

Determinants Of Health

Francophone Population

By Overall

By Age

By Education

By Employment

By Median Income (after tax)

By Low Income

Overall

There is no single criterion to define francophonie or Francophone. The 2011 Census provides information on mother tongue, reported ability to conduct a conversation in French, language spoken at home and first official language spoken. These four indicators are used to measure the presence of French in Canada and in each province or territory (Statistics Canada, 2015). Data presented below was accessed through the Community Data Program (CDP) which incorporates an inclusive definition different from Statistics Canada. This definition only incorporates 2011 Census information on mother tongue, language spoken at home and first official language spoken. Although an inclusive definition prevents exclusion of those who may identify as Francophone for various reasons, it may include those who may not consider themselves part of this population group.

According to the 2011 Census, 14,150 residents in Simcoe Muskoka are considered Francophone. The Francophone population in Simcoe Muskoka represents 3% of the total Simcoe Muskoka population (504,110). The majority of the Francophone population lives in Simcoe County (94% or 13,260) with the remaining 6% (or 895) residing in the District of Muskoka. Almost one-third of the Francophone population living in Simcoe County reside in Barrie (30% or 3,980), with Tiny Township having the second-largest Francophone population in the County (10% or 1,370). The largest Francophone areas in Muskoka are Huntsville (36% of the District’s Francophone population or 320) and Bracebridge (24% or 215).

In comparison, the Ontario Francophone population makes up a slightly larger proportion of its total population, with 5% (or almost 675,000) of Ontario residents indicating they are Francophone.

By Age

According to the 2011 Census, the median age of the Francophone population in the County of Simcoe was 47, and the median age in the District of Muskoka was 53. This is older than the median age of the total population which is 42 years in Simcoe and 48 years in Muskoka.

150730PopPyramid

Francophone children aged 14 years and under made up 11% (or 1,585) of the total Francophone population in Simcoe Muskoka, while one in five (20% or 2,885) are seniors aged 65 and over. In comparison, of the overall population in Simcoe Muskoka, 17% (or 84,250) are children aged 14 years and under, while 16% (of 82,840) are seniors 65 years and over.

By Education

According to 2011 National Household Survey (NHS) data, 61% (or 4,565) of Francophones between the ages of 25 and 64 in Simcoe Muskoka indicated they have a post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree. An even greater percentage of Francophones have a post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree in Ontario (67%).

150527FrancophoneEdu

By Employment

In 2011, 66% (or about 7,380) of those 15 years and older of the Francophone population were part of the labour force in Simcoe Muskoka. About two out of three (63% or 7,010) were employed, similar to the overall population in Simcoe Muskoka with 60% (or 245,680).

In comparison, the unemployment rate in Simcoe Muskoka for the Francophone population 15 years and older was lower than the unemployment rate for the overall population 15 years and older in Simcoe Muskoka, 6% and 8% respectively.

By Median Income (after tax)

According to NHS data, in 2010, the median after-tax income for the Francophone population 15 years and over in Simcoe County was $33,875, more than $10,000 higher than the median after-tax income for the Francophone population living in Muskoka District ($23,539). In comparison, the 2010 median after-tax income for the overall population 15 years and older in Simcoe County and District of Muskoka was $28,238 and $26,074 respectively

By Low Income

The 2011 NHS indicated that 9% (or 1,125) of the Francophone population in Simcoe Muskoka was considered to have low income in 2010 based on the NHS after-tax low-income measure (LIM-AT). This is a lower percentage compared to Simcoe Muskoka’s overall population living with low income reported in the NHS (11% or just over 56,000 people). In comparison, 13% (or 79,860) of Ontario’s Francophone population was living in low income in 2010 according to NHS data.